Star Trek Online - Kick in the Teeth

This forum is for any information regarding new Star Trek games or multimedia.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Engineering Command

EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain
X-fire: EVOXSNES

Star Trek Online - Kick in the Teeth

Post by EVOXSNES »

After spending some 60 odd bucks when STO first came out...

http://impulsedriven.com/startrekonlinedde

I've only ever seen games that go down the tube or have already done so on Impulse for that price... Its no real surprise tbh... but it makes me wonder...

So anyone have a spare few dollars who hasn't already tried STO...
Alexraptor

Re: Star Trek Online - Kick in the Teeth

Post by Alexraptor »

You do know that "all" MMORPG's drop significantly in retail price over time right?
Even World of Warcraft can be picked up for peanuts these days but its still one of the most popular MMORPG's in the world.

Heck its the same way with ALL games.
I bought Crysis only a year after it came out, and the collectors edition cost less than a quarter of what the "normal" edition did when the game launched.

So yeah, people who buy the game on launch day will always get a kick in the teeth if price is a concern.
Kelbie

Post by Kelbie »

I only bought sto special edition box set to my other trek games collection. When sto came out, it was only £34.99 :D

So far i have...

Star Trek Armada 1 & 2 originals
Star Trek Bridge Commander & Bridge Commander 3D Glasses box
Star Trek Elite Force & Star Trek Elite Force 2(Special Edition)
Star Trek Star Fleet Command 2&3
Star Trek Legacy
Star Trek D.A.C. (Downloaded on PSN)
STO Special Edition box set

I can also show my pics as well. Some of you remember i made a thread about that and showed some pictures :)
Samsung 42inch Owner
Sony BDPS370 Player Owner
Samsung HT-C450 5.1 Owner
Sony PS3 1TB Owner
Samsung Galaxy S 32gb Owner
EVOXSNES
Captain
Captain
X-fire: EVOXSNES

Post by EVOXSNES »

Alexraptor wrote:You do know that "all" MMORPG's drop significantly in retail price over time right?
Even World of Warcraft can be picked up for peanuts these days but its still one of the most popular MMORPG's in the world.

Heck its the same way with ALL games.
I bought Crysis only a year after it came out, and the collectors edition cost less than a quarter of what the "normal" edition did when the game launched.

So yeah, people who buy the game on launch day will always get a kick in the teeth if price is a concern.
Im sure whatever you had to say didn't warrant the immature snippet in green above. Which clearly reflects your true temperament towards me. :shock:

That aside, i've taken what you've said on board and i can see now that perhaps this isn't all that surprising. Although i have to admit, i would have thought STO retain a larger measure of its value just a bit longer.
Naruto
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Naruto »

i have to agree with Alexraptor on this one, games go down in value so fast, an example is Mass Effect 2, i only found out how awesome that game was last year, after playing ME1 i went out looking for ME2, i found it for 19$ NEW however i saw the ME2SE for 29$! That was like 69-79$ the year before when it had just come out

and MMORPG's are even worst, you don't even need to pay for some of them, WoW you can just download and activate, you still need to buy all the expantions for it thought but still

that being said...... I spent 70$ on the STOCE (Colectors Edition) And i have to say....... i regret it, i should have just gotten the regular edition, its just collecting dust on my shelf and the game isn't that great "MY opinion"
Fourth Seat Councillor
First Fleet Executive Officer
Senior Fleet Records Officer
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Guess to each his own then.

I have both STO Gold Edition and STO Collectors Edition + Pre-Order Lifetime subscription.

No Regrets.
Naruto
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Naruto »

There was a gold edition?! what did you get with the gold edition......and why did you buy 2 copies of the game?

And i also have a lifetime sub, the captains club is always empty so i am always drinking alone in the corner with some admiral from the past telling me about how awesome he is
Fourth Seat Councillor
First Fleet Executive Officer
Senior Fleet Records Officer
Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Naruto wrote:There was a gold edition?! what did you get with the gold edition......and why did you buy 2 copies of the game?

And i also have a lifetime sub, the captains club is always empty so i am always drinking alone in the corner with some admiral from the past telling me about how awesome he is
Easy, Because i am a Collector! :P
I also have the Crysis Limited Edition and the Mass Effect 2 Collectors Edition, as well as the Flight Simulator 2004 limited "Tin Box" edition of which only 10,000 were ever made. :ugeek:

Anyway, the Gold Edition was more or less a EU exclusive i think, and it contained a STO T-Shirt, an STO map and a set of STO postcards.
The STO Collectors edition I bought much much later for a cheap price.
magnis
Division Rear Admiral
Division Rear Admiral

Post by magnis »

Good Day

After reviewing the new ep. i find the game developers are finally listening to the gamers. The quality of this new production series is strong and of good quality. The storyline is structured correctly and the semi voice over gives much needed wanting for the game. I will admit i would like the full option of voice over for all attributes. Not just the admiral and the new villian should have it but also the Lt. cmdr and my own bridge officer.

One thought is to go and buy the runabout if you have not bought the delta flyer from the c-st0re. Use the aegis gear if you can and i suggest using a tactical officer with the ability of fire at will. torps or quatums will do just fine. Now here is the catch with this mission. when you need to escape do not leave the main chamber until you switch to an engineer or a science officer. My suggestion is to use emergency power to sheilds or science team.

I used polaron beams in this mission to reduce the amount of damage i was getting. That weapon brings down emeny power levels. I was even able to bring down the two rom ships inside the station.
Costello

Post by Costello »

That is extremely cheap.
Fifth Fleet Admiral of the United Federation of Planets
(Resigned)